Rideshare companies are becoming more popular every year and provide much-needed services to individuals seeking transportation. In general rideshare services, such as Uber and Lyft, are safe and affordable options to travel; however, there is always some risk involved when traveling by car. Accidents happen and are occurring more frequently for rideshare passengers, due to the rising number of rideshare drivers operating. An auto accident attorney in Bethlehem may be able to help you get the damages you deserve. If you are involved in a rideshare accident as a passenger, there are several steps you must take after the accident.
Steps to take following a rideshare accident
- First, the passenger must make sure that the rideshare driver stops at the accident scene. It is imperative that the accident is documented with an accident report. The driver may not want to file an accident report with the police, as it may impact their ability to continue working for the rideshare service.
- After the vehicle has been stopped and you are waiting on the police to arrive, step outside of the car. You should record the name and insurance information from your rideshare driver as well as the license plate number of the car you were traveling in. Make sure that you provide a statement to the police that is included in the accident report.
- After the accident report has been completed, you should visit a doctor to evaluate your injuries related to the accident. It is important to remember that you may not be in pain immediately following the accident, but you still may be injured. Have your doctor or a medical professional within the emergency room evaluate you.
- Contact the ridesharing service to report the accident. The rideshare driver may avoid reporting the accident to the company. It is extremely important to let the ridesharing service know about the accident immediately after it occurs.
- Contact an auto accident attorney in Bethlehem to help you receive the compensation you deserve.
Who is responsible for paying for medical expenses?
The rideshare driver or the driver found at fault will be responsible for paying any damages resulting from the accident. There are several factors insurance companies rely on to establish who was at fault. These factors include witness statements, accident reports, damage review, and police statements. There are cases that more than one driver may be found at fault for an accident. Rideshare drivers are typically covered by company liability insurance. This liability insurance will be used in the case that a claim is filed. The rideshare driver may also have their personal insurance pay for damages in certain situations.
If you have been involved in an accident as a passenger of a ridesharing service, contact Durlofsky Law Offices, auto accident attorneys in Bethlehem. (www.grdlaw.com). Call today!